Habitat for Humanity Romania is looking for a specialist to draw up their strategy for the next five years
Habitat for Humanity Romania is seeking the services of a consultant or a consulting company to provide expert support in planning and facilitating a five-year strategy, aiming to increase the scale, impact and sustainability of the organization work.
- Introduction and background
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating substandard housing and homelessness worldwide and to making adequate, affordable shelter a matter of conscience and action. Since its founding in 1976, Habitat for Humanity has helped more than 29 million people gain access to new or improved housing around the world.
Habitat for Humanity Romania is affiliated with HFHI, leading all the operations in Romania. Since 1996 Habitat for Humanity Romania has helped more than 100.000 Romanians, by securing access to a decent shelter or by strengthening the communities where they live.
Our work is structured in 4 main programs:
Habitat for Humanity Romania builds and renovates homes in partnership with low-income families throughout the country. This ranges from single house builds to blitz builds of 10 or more houses in just one week. Rehabilitation work is aimed at improving living conditions for families through several types of interventions.
Habitat for Humanity Romania builds stronger communities along with volunteers and partners. The lack of workplaces and infrastructure, limited access to health services, as well as social exclusion and school dropout among children affect the stability and development of communities.
In partnership with local authorities, companies and other non-governmental organizations, Habitat for Humanity
Romania builds or rehabilitates educational centers, community centers, schools, day care centers and many others- everything that falls under the concept of a “decent roof”
Disaster Risk Reduction and Response
Thousands of families are left without houses following natural disasters (floods, earthquakes, fire and landslides) or man-made disasters (e.g: War in Ukraine)
Over the years, Habitat for Humanity Romania has helped more than 50,000 people through its Disaster Risk Reduction and Response Programs, most recently being our Ukraine Response program.
Habitat for Humanity Romania serves as a voice for people in need of decent housing by working to change laws and shape policies that affect access to housing. Our advocacy approach is based on decades of on the- ground experience. In our deep understanding of housing and its role in providing opportunities for families, we seek to reform laws in a non-confrontational, nonpartisan way. Just like building, advocating for smart policies and systems is a way to create a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Volunteers are our hearts, hands and voices. Over the years we have hosted more than 40.000 volunteers on the construction sites.
You can find more about our work following our annual reports, @habitat.ro
Currently, HFHRO is working to refine its programmatic focus and define the new five year strategy and plan for 2023- 2028. This is aligned with the global and regional change initiative aiming to increase significantly scale, impact and resources.
- Purpose, objective and audience
HFHRO requires the services of a consultant or a consulting company to facilitate the development a long-term perspective strategy for Habitat for Humanity in Romania for the next five years, informed by organizational theory of change and aligned with the reginal and global change initiative. The consulting entity will be tasked with the following:
- Propose a participatory process for stakeholders’ engagement and strategy development;
- Develop stakeholders’ engagement and strategy development plan;
- Facilitate sessions and workshops with identified stakeholders to develop the strategy and implementation plan;
- Document the strategy and implementation plan.
The audience to this engagement and its results is Habitat for Humanity staff: Habitat for Humanity Romania staff, HFHI Europe and Middle East regional office (EME) and strategic partners.
- Scope of work
A combination of the following activities would be confirmed after engagement with the selected consulting entity:
- Propose a participatory process for stakeholders’ engagement and strategy development:
- Review key HFHRO documents as well as HFHI key documents (e.g.: theory of change, Central and Eastern Europe strategy, Global Impact 2025)
- Consult key stakeholders to understand expectations and organization dynamics,
- Propose a participatory approach for engaging different groups of stakeholders during the strategy development process.
- Develop stakeholders’ engagement and strategy development plan:
- Consult HFHRO and HFHI leaders on internal and external stakeholders mapping ,
- Propose a stakeholders’ engagement plan,
- Propose a strategy development plan and schedule.
- Facilitate sessions and workshops with identified stakeholders to:
- Shared understanding of the housing context and housing issues and opportunities in Romania; identifying & addressing drivers of housing deficit in Romania;
- Define value proposition, programmatic priorities, objectives and funding mechanisms.
- Align HFHRO strategy with Theory of change, regional Central and Eastern Europe strategy and the global HFHI change processes: Global Impact 25, Program Identity and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI);
- Develop an implementation plan for the strategy.
- Document the HFHRO strategy and implementation plan that should include:
- Value proposition;
- Programmatic priorities;
- Strategic objectives;
- Targets to be achieved;
- Collaboration model with affiliated entities (affiliates, construction company);
- Programmatic interventions;
- Indicative resources required (Corporate, Individuals, FOI- Foundations, Organizations and Institutions)
- Methodology and process
Exact methodology is to be determined based on the consultant’s recommendations and final decision of designated Habitat for Humanity staff. It will involve review of HFH’s key documents, consultations with key internal stakeholders and participatory workshops. Engagements will be on a hybrid system: both virtual through conference calls and online workshops and in-person meetings.
The assignment will be undertaken through overall coordination of HFHRO designated staff. Regular and as needed project management meetings with designated staff will be held.
Primary language for facilitation and document writing will be English
- Deliverables, schedule and budget
The total budget allocated to this assignment is 15.000 Euros (gross, VAT included). The assignment will be carried out between Oct. 2022 and March 2023
We will entertain recommendations on project schedule and budget from the consulting entity. Additionally, we will entertain suggested amended deliverables, but we would expect to receive the following:
- An inception plan with a timeline, covering the areas of the scope of work;
- HFHRO five-year strategy document 2023-2028 (FOI fundraising strategy and plan will be a separate chapter within the strategy)* FOI= fundraising from Foundations, Organizations and Institutions.
- HFHRO strategy implementation plan 2023-2028
- Required competencies and experience
The successful consulting entity will have the following mix of expertise:
- Experience and proven record in strategy development processes; preferably for International NGO’s
- Proven record in facilitating engagement with various shareholders across multiple sectors (both communities, public and private),
- Excellent facilitation skills,
- Excellent analytical, writing and presentation skills,
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and Romanian
- Submission process
Habitat for Humanity Romania invites proposals from consulting entities with the experience and skills described above. Please send the following to [email protected], [email protected] by Sep. 13th 2022. Please limit responses to a maximum of 10 pages (not counting CVs, and client references). Consulting entities must submit a Proposal, with the following to be considered:
- a)Description of all products and services supplied relevant to this ToR;
- b) Understanding of this assignment;
- c) Description of proposed methodological approach;
- d) Description of deliverables;
- e) Estimated budget and resources required (Costs breakdown)
- f) Project schedule & work breakdown structure, which identifies timelines, key milestones, project phases, or other project plan information.
- Annexed to the Proposal should be:
- 1) CV(s) of the leader for strategy facilitation and support staff; + other proposed experts.
- 2) Annexed to the proposal- Client references (minimum 2)
All questions should be submitted in writing to both addresses stated above, no later than 5 calendar days before the submission deadline.
By responding to this Request for proposal (RFP), the applicant agrees to be responsible for fully understanding the requirements or other details of the RFP and will ask any questions to ensure such understanding is gained. Habitat for Humanity Romania retains the right to disqualify consultants who do not demonstrate a clear understanding of our needs. Furthermore, the right to disqualify a consultant extends past the contract award period and HFH will be at no fault, cost, or liability.
Good faith statement
All information provided by HFH is offered in good faith. Specific items are subject to change at any time based on business circumstances. HFH does not guarantee that any particular item is without error. HFH will not be held responsible or liable for use of this information or for any claims asserted therefrom.
Communications shall not be effective, unless a specified employee who is responsible for managing the RFP process formally confirms these communications in writing. In no case shall verbal communication govern over written communications.
- Selection process and criteria
Interviews with eligible candidates will be held in reasonable time after submitting the proposal. Final selection and contract signing will be done by Sep 28th, 2022. Estimated start of works is October 15th.
All proposals will be evaluated systematically, based on the following key criteria:
- Quality of the methodological proposal: aspects that will help us to assess their suitability for that which is proposed in the RFP, quality of the proposal, feasibility, etc.
- Profile and competencies of the consulting team: knowledge, experience, composition and other necessary competencies; previous experience also proved by other client references
Consulting entities who have demonstrated their capacity to meet our needs will be contacted via phone and/or email to be notified of their selection to move forward in the RFP process. Consulting entities, who have not been selected, will not be contacted.
- Other provisions
HFHRO reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to waive minor irregularities in submittal requirements, to request modification of the response, to accept or reject any or all responses received, and/or to cancel all or part of this RFP at any time prior to awards.
This RFP does not commit HFHRO to award any funds, pay any costs incurred in preparing a response, or procure or contract for services or supplies. HFHRO reserves the right to accept or reject any or all responses received, negotiate with all qualified Respondents, cancel or modify the RFP in part or in its entirety, or change the response guidelines, when it is in its best interest.
Changes/Amendments to RFP
This RFP has been distributed electronically using HFHRO’s email system. Any update and/or changes will be communicated by this process.